Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Bernard Shaw Incident

George Bernard Shaw


I read about this incident in a book long back and it just came back to me now!

Once Bernard Shaw was in a party or sort, He  met a beautiful women with whom he had chatted up or the other way around, I am not so sure as I was not invited to the particular party and people who where are yet to make up their minds about it. But they are pretty sure about what happened later.

The Bernard Shaw Experience




During the conversation Bernard Shaw asked the women, " Would you sleep with me if I offered you 1000 euros?"

The women has shocked and said "No"!.

Mr Shaw persisted, He continued " What if I would were to give you 10000 euros?"

The women was by calming down and simply replied "No!"

Mr Shaw was  not the one to give in He asked "What if I were to give you One Million Euros?".

The women must have thought he was crazy but when he took out his check book and waved at her, she started thinking. I wouldn't blame her ! million euros is a lot of money. 

She thought hard and replied "May be".

Mr Shaw quickly put the checkbook back in the pocket and held out Hundred Euros to the lady.

She was furious and asked "What kind of a lady do you think I am?".

Mr Shaw smiled and replied calmly " I think we already established what kind of a lady you are, we are just dangling over the price!".


The Take from Bernard Shaw's Experience



This is just one example of how people change in the presence of money, A sum that's all it takes to influence people, sometimes they come cheap some times they are expensive but it is really hard to find priceless people.

15 comments:

  1. Bernard Shaw died long before the Euro was thought of, but I get your point. Money can sway decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The point made.

    But you know there was no Euro in Shaw's time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true.
    As they say 'Money is the great equalizer'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew about the 'Euro' problem in the story, But I was not in a mood to research the story any further.

    But thinking of it now, I wonder what he would have actually offered given that no real record of where the actual event occurred is still shrouded in mystery!May be Pounds, dollars or lire...

    but since the point would remain the same and since I myself is a very lazy lad! I am going to let it remain the same!

    Thanks leaps and bounds guys for pointing it out, I sure now know that you carefully read my posts! @matheikal and @liberalcynic

    ReplyDelete
  5. @navin

    Indeed it is! kind of makes us forget things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post, G.B Shaw was known to be as person who gave lot of one liners in real life situations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. Am sharing on Twitter!

    Keep 'em coming like the Wind, Rupertt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yup- i thought about the euro too in Shaw's time !!! but the point is like u say it's hard to find people who are not swayed by money !

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ambarparashar Thanks you, He indeed sure did give a lot of one-liners in his days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Priya sreeram Thanks you! indeed they are a rare species!

    ReplyDelete

come on! scribble down whats in your heart!